The American people were hit hard on 9/11. The perpetrators did not only kill 3,000 people, mostly Americans, bringing tragedy to their families, but provided justifications for restrictions to liberties and endless wars that have affected millions of people worldwide. The American people have paid dearly in money and blood as a result of this horrendous crime. And so have others.
I feel it my duty, as a veteran defender of human rights, to share with my American friends my knowledge and findings about rights and responsibilities ensuing from the crime against humanity committed on 9/11.Victims and their families possess the right to know the unvarnished facts.The U.S. government and its allies bear the moral, political and legal responsibility in establishing the truth about this crime and ensure the identification and conviction of its perpetrators and accomplices.
The victims of 9/11 and the American people have been denied their rights. This book is intended to empower 9/11 victims, their families and ordinary Americans to demand their right to the truth and to justice. If it advances this cause, it has accomplished its purpose.
* * * * *
For almost two decades the United States and its allies have succeeded in suppressing popular efforts to expose the deceptive account of the events of 11 September 2001 (hereafter 9/11). Attempts to challenge the official account have met with stiff resistance from governments, academia and the media. Researchers who question the official account are vilified, mobbed and fired from their jobs. Yet despite massive and systematic efforts to denigrate such investigative efforts, public awareness is seeping through that the U.S. government and its allies are covering up the facts. The ranks of those who question the official narrative on 9/11 are growing by the year and may possibly cause a political crisis corresponding in vehemence to the doggedness with which the truth is being suppressed today.
The events of 9/11 were a crime against humanity as the term is defined under international criminal law.1 The crime of 9/11 has been invoked by governments to justify a bombing campaign against one of the poorest nations on earth, Afghanistan, and the erosion of liberties in numerous countries under the pretext of combating terrorism. Yet none of the plotters and participants in the crime of 9/11 have been prosecuted by the United States government. The U.S. government claims that 19 Muslims, inspired or directed by Osama bin Laden, committed that crime and died in the attacks. But the government has produced no evidence that these men even boarded the planes that they allegedly hijacked. Nor did it produce evidence that they possessed the skills, means and motive to execute this crime. As of this writing, the U.S. authorities have failed to formally identify the real perpetrators of 9/11.
Apart from those whose livelihood depends on covering-up the truth (who will not concern us here), many honest people may wonder why 9/11 is relevant to the problems humanity faces today.
It may not be obvious to everyone that major assaults on democracy, the rule of law, human rights and international peace are directly related to the maintenance of the official 9/11 legend. A partial list of such assaults justified by the 9/11 narrative suffices to demonstrate the relevance of revisiting the 9/11 evidence:
• The war against Afghanistan was originally justified by 9/11, and Afghanistan is still occupied by U.S. troops 19 years later.
• Current efforts by the United Nations to extend the counterterrorism ideology to all UN bodies and agencies undermine international law and the reputation and integrity of the organization as a whole.
• The establishment of dystopian mass surveillance by governments is predicated on the supposed need for intelligence services to detect dormant terrorist cells, a claim that relies in turn on the official 9/11 narrative, which falsely claimed that a terrorist cell in Hamburg had prepared the attacks.
• Democratic rights, such as the Right to Information, are being curtailed by the U.S. authorities because of the alleged need of state institutions to keep secrets from potential terrorists.
• A huge industry of fear-mongering has emerged thanks to a counterterrorism ideology based on the 9/11 narrative. Millions of people now earn their living by stoking the fear of terrorism.
• The failure to identify and arrest the mass murderers of 9/11, the deadliest terrorist attack in modern times, presents an ongoing security risk for the American people and for the world.
In writing this book, I was guided by two ethical values: truth and justice. This does not shield me from factual mistakes, the use of unreliable sources or errors in reasoning. Readers, acting as a jury, will ultimately judge whether this book reflects such ethical values. I will be grateful for readers’ critical comments.
Numerous excellent books have been written from a critical perspective on the events of 9/11. I wish first to cite two remarkable individuals, who already early on recognized the deceptive nature of the official account of 9/11: Thierry Meyssan, the French director of voltaire.net, who published two important eye-openers in 2002 and 2003 that have been translated into 26 languages.2 The other is Andreas von Bülow, former German Minister of Research and Technology, who while being a member of the German Bundestag (Parliament) served on the parliamentary committee that supervises German intelligence agencies. Von Bülow made waves in Germany in 2002 after stating in a TV interview that “planning [and executing] the attacks was a master deed, in technical and organizational terms,(…) unthinkable without backing from the secret apparatuses of state and industry.”3 He later published a book about the role of secret services in international terrorism.4 Both von Bülow and Meyssan were vilified by mainstream media for daring to question the official account of 9/11 and ultimately excluded from media coverage.
David Ray Griffin, who only became a 9/11 skeptic a couple of years after the event, has become the leading scholar in 9/11 critical studies. He has written more than ten books on this subject, each with a different slant. Some of his books focus on particular aspects of 9/11, such as the dereliction of the 9/11 Commission, while others contain a heterogenous collection of articles on important facets of 9/11. His first book, The New Pearl Harbor, served and continues to serve as an excellent introduction to critical studies of 9/11. I concur with Professor Richard Falk’s assessment of this book:
David Ray Griffin has written an extraordinary book. If carefully read with even just a 30-percent open mind, it is almost certain to change the way we understand the workings of constitutional democracy in the United States at the highest levels of government. (…) It is rare, indeed, that a book has this potential to become a force of history.5
Other authors, such as Webster Tarpley,6 Michael Ruppert,7 Peter Dale Scott,8 and David MacGregor,9 shed light on covert aspects of U.S. governance that help explain the rationale for the mass-murder of 9/11. These authors contend that there exists a deep and hidden structure ensconced within the official state apparatus of the United States, which wields far greater power than is generally suspected. Their view has been partly vindicated by revelations made in Europe concerning similar structures operating during the Cold War under the name of Stay-Behind Armies or Gladio.10 Tarpley has also sketched a theory of synthetic terrorism, including a taxonomy of the actors involved. Other authors, including Barrie Zwicker, a veteran 9/11 researcher and producer of one of the best early documentaries on this issue,11 have focussed on the role of media in covering-up the crime of 9/11 and that played by leftist gate-keepers in maintaining the belief in the so-called blow-back theory.12 Specific aspects of 9/11 have been dealt in depth by several authors. Rowland Morgan, for example, provides an excellent critical analysis of the facts and myths surrounding flight UA93.13 Political scientist Nafeez Mosaddeq Ahmed provided a fresh and critical evaluation of the al-Qaeda network and its covert links to Western intelligence agencies.14 Aidan Monaghan has elicited important information by persistently and judiciously using Freedom of Information (FOIA) requests.15
I wish to give also credit to four bloggers, who remain largely unknown but whose contributions to 9/11 truth have been original, relevant and significant: Aidan Monaghan, killtown, shoestring and Woody Box (the last three being pseudonyms). I am deeply indebted to their groundbreaking research. My sincere thanks also go to Dr. Ansgar Schneider of Bonn, Germany, for having meticulously reviewed the original manuscript and recommended numerous improvements, to Dr. Michael Morrissey, who critically reviewed the manuscript both regarding contents and language and to Dr. Pétur Knútsson of the University of Iceland for his critical comments and encouragement. Any remaining errors are mine. I also thank the numerous journalists, who wittingly or unwittingly revealed facts that help to better understand the complex 9/11 operation. I wish finally to acknowledge the excellent work of the international review panel investigation, summarized in the recent book 9/11 Unmasked. It represents the consensus of 23 eminent scholars regarding many of the aspects of 9/11 that are also discussed in that book.
In this book I argue that the official narrative of 9/11, resting on a hijacking scenario, is pure fiction, or more accurately the most successful deception in known history in terms of the number of deceived people. The success of this propaganda operation is not due to the compelling nature of the official narrative, but to the systematic manipulation of the public on and after 9/11 by official sources and the media despite the factual implausibility of that narrative. An open mind, however, can easily see through the deception, as I hope to show.
Some readers may wonder why I do not discuss here the alleged role of Osama bin Laden in the attacks, if only to refute the claim of his responsibility. As will be shown, even the U.S. authorities did not accuse and charge him for 9/11. Accordingly, examining his verbal output would serve no purpose in this study.
Readers may wish to know who, in my opinion, perpetrated the crime of 9/11. I leave this question to other authors. One author, Kevin Ryan, has already made a substantial contribution in this direction with his recent book Another Nineteen: Investigating Legitimate 9/11 Suspects.
This book is organized in a modular manner which is designed to serve as a reference work on 9/11 for journalists, politicians, lawyers, researchers and libraries. Unlike most books and articles on this subject, which merely include links to internet sources – often no longer available – I have taken pains to provide easy and permanent access to most source documents by posting them on my personal website. This allows readers to easily verify the accuracy and relevancy of the facts that I present.
The modular structure of the book means that the chapters can be read in any sequence. Each chapter provides independent evidence substantiating the charge of a government cover-up and/or complicity in the crime of 9/11. This modular architecture provides not only for structural clarity but strengthens the overall conclusion.
The overwhelming majority of sources for this study consists of (1) official documents, i.e., statements issued by the U.S. government, its agencies, officials, members of Congress, courts and private entities acting at the behest of government authorities; (2) reports from mainstream media. Some credible monographs and blogs are also cited.
Anyone attempting to investigate suspected government malfeasance is engaging in intelligence analysis, namely sifting large amounts of data, including deceptive data to discover what is relevant. James R. Schlesinger, who has been the U.S. Secretary of Defense, Director of Central Intelligence, and chairman of the Atomic Energy Commission, explained to a Congressional Committee in 2004 the difficulties facing intelligence analysis:
Intelligence targets naturally seek to conceal what they are doing, and have a strong tendency to mislead you. A central problem in intelligence is to discern the true signals16 amidst the noise. The relevant signals may be very weak…Moreover, false signals are deliberately planted.17
As will be noted throughout this book, even a cursory examination of the 9/11 case reveals a bewildering number of anomalies, contradictions and unanswered questions that in the language of intelligence analysis may amount to “noise.” I have aimed, to the best of my ability, to draw a distinction between noise and significant information.
In mathematics, we solve equations with one or several unknowns by various mathematical operations. The solution may be a single number or a set of numbers. When attempting to solve a criminal mystery, we also use formal operations to discover the unknowns. These operations include deduction, induction, tests of logical coherence, tests of reliability and plausibility, sensitivity tests, Occam’s razor, etc. Where major pieces of evidence are either inaccessible or have been destroyed, the solution to a criminal mystery may not yield a precise answer, but can provide an approximation, adequate for practical purposes. As will be shown herein, the mass murder of 9/11 may never be solved to a degree of precision sufficient for the criminal conviction of any individual. However, it can be solved to an adequate degree of precision for questioning the legitimacy of the institutions which have prevented the establishment of the truth about 9/11.
Following an endnote, the reader will find in many cases a number preceded by the #-sign or the =-sign. These numbers refer to the document cached on my personal website. For document numbers preceded by #, their URL is <www.aldeilis.net/fake/XXX.pdf>. For document numbers preceded by =, their URL is <www.aldeilis.net/fake/XXX.pdf>. ‘XXX’ is the 3- or 4-digit number.
The Memoranda For the Record (MFR’s) and FBI 302 forms referred to in this book are found, for the most part, in the 9/11 Commission Records stored at the National Archives (NARA) [see <www.archives.gov/research/9-11>]. Where a document lacks an MFR or 302 serial number, its location (Team and Box number) will be provided to expedite the reader’s access to the document.
1. “For the purpose of [the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court], crime against humanity means any of the following acts when committed as part of a […] systematic attack directed against any civilian population, with knowledge of the attack: (a) Murder (…) (i) Enforced disappearance of persons; (…).”
2. Thierry Meyssan, L’effroyable imposture (France, Editions Demi-Lune, 2002) and Le Pentagate (France, Editions Carnot, 2003)
3. “Da sind Spuren wie von einer trampelnden Elefantenherde”, Tagesspiegel (Germany), 13 January 2002, #930
4. Andreas von Bülow, Die CIA und der 11. September: Internationaler Terror und die Rolle der Geheimdienste (Germany, Piper Verlag, 2003, 2004, 2011)
5. Richard Falk, Foreword to David Ray Griffin, The New Pearl Harbor: Disturbing Questions about the Bush Administration and 9/11 (Olive Branch Press, 2004), vii
6. Webster Griffin Tarpley, 9/11 Synthetic Terror Made in USA (Progressive Press, 2006)
7. Michael C. Ruppert, Crossing the Rubicon: The Decline of the American Empire and the End of the Age of Oil (Canada, New Society Publishers, 2004)
8. Peter Dale Scott, Deep Politics and the Death of JFK (University of California Press, 1996); The Road to 9/11: Wealth, Empire, and the Future of America (University of California Press, 2008) and; American War Machine: Deep Politics, the CIA Global Drug Connection, and the Road to Afghanistan (Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, 2010)
9. David MacGregor, “September 11 as ‘Machiavellian State Terrorism’”, in The Hidden History of 9/11, edited by Paul Zarembka, Research in Political Economy, Vol. 23 (Elsevier, May 2006)
10. Daniele Ganser, NATO’s Secret Armies: Operation GLADIO and Terrorism in Western Europe (Routledge, 2005)
11. Barrie Zwicker, The Great Conspiracy: The 9/11 News Special You Never Saw (2004) [DVD]
12. Barrie Zwicker, Towers of Deception: The Media Cover-Up of 9/11 (New Society Publishers, 2006)
13. Rowland Morgan, Flight 93 Revealed: What really happened on the 9/11 ‘Let’s Roll’ Flight? (Robinson publishers, 2006)
14. Nafeez Mosaddeq Ahmed, The War on Truth and the Anatomy of Terrorism (Olive Branch Press, 2005)
15. Aidan Monaghan’s Blog: <911blogger.com/blog/2074>
16. By the term “signals” the speaker is evidently not referring to a limited technical meaning, as in “electronic signals” but to the informational value of any data item, regardless of the form in which it is obtained.